Examination of the Wrist
This course is aimed at hand therapists, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, surgeons and physicians working in the field of hand pathologies. You will be able to repeat this online learning course as many times as you wish for six months from the date of purchase.
Course cost: £34.00
Video run time: 36 minutes plus activity time
The wrist is the key to normal hand function. Assessing the wrist can be a challenge because of the complex anatomy and the fact that multiple diagnoses can cause pain at the wrist. The key to assessing the wrist is to correlate the mechanism of injury with localised physical findings. This module will look at the process of differential diagnosis, using palpation and provocative tests and relating the underlying anatomical structures with possible diagnoses.
At the end of this module the health professional will be able to:
- Understand the importance of effective history taking
- Use observation to identify abnormalities and help with the prioritisation of further assessment
- Identify objective assessment techniques to measure range, strength, oedema and sensation
- Consider the role of referred pain
- Understand the process of effective assessment
- Use a systematic zone by zone approach to wrist assessment
- Apply the knowledge of surface anatomy, underlying anatomical structures and specific provocative tests to identify common diagnoses that cause wrist pain and disability.
Pre-requisites There are none but the learning experience will be enhanced if you are able to practice the palpation skills and provocative tests on a hand of a friend
Evidence of Learning
Once the course has been completed there is a quiz available. Once the quiz has been completed, a certificate, with the result embedded, will be available for download. The quiz can be taken more than once.
Terms and Conditions are detailed prior to purchase and available here
To view this Lesson please purchase below
To view this content please login and activate subscription.