This online module covers assessment of the thumb and explores the modalities therapists may use to treat osteoarthritis of the thumb.
Video Run Time 70 minutes plus activity time
Course aimed at Hand Therapists, Occupational therapists, Physiotherapists, Surgeons and physicians working in the field of hand pathologies, General practitioners and other primary care professionals
Course description This is the second module on osteoarthritis of the CMC joint of the thumb. Following a brief overview of the previous part one, this module explores the assessment carried out by the hand therapist and then investigates the modalities available for treatment. Each is reviewed with reference to the literature and with an emphasis on clinical reasoning. Included is education, joint protection techniques, splinting, exercise and other appropriate approaches.
At the end of this module the health professional will be able to:
- select the appropriate assessments for patients with osteoarthritis of the CMC joint of the thumb including range of movement, pinch and grip and function
- understand the deformities and instabilities that may be seen
- explore specific diagnostic tests for OA CMCJ
- review the outcome measures that could be used for OS CMCJ
- understand UK national guidelines for the management of OA
- explore modalities available to the hand therapist for the treatment of OA thumb with reference to the current literature
Cancellation See T&Cs
Evidence of learning Once the course has been completed there is a quiz available. This quiz has ten questions. Once the quiz has been completed, a certificate, with the result embedded, will be available for download. The quiz can be taken more than once.
Part one covers anatomy and presentation of OA 1st CMCJ